Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mashups

Another interesting development with great potential for libraries in creating reference resources.
My library has just been commended in the National Trust Heritage awards for its recently developed picture database. This could be made into an even better site by adding in voice threads to bring various pictures to life & enhance the oral history of the area.
The video explaining Voicethread put me in mind of Hell, which I envision as an eternity of looking at people's old photos while listening to their interminably tedious recollections. However, I'm sure our local history voicethreads wouldn't be like that!
The Starviewer was wonderful, although I'd have to give some thought as to the technique could be applied in a public library. I can see uni. staff having a lot of fun with it in creating resources for students through their library services.
The British Library's 'London:a life in maps' is v. interesting, but I wonder if we have the staff resources to put something like that together, it must take a lot of work.

1 comment:

slnsw_learning_2.0 said...

Does your library have branches? How about adding a Google map with the locations to your website?
Mylee (PLS)