Saturday, February 23, 2008

First effort


At last I have made it this far. I spent so long trying to find a username I liked that wasn't already in use, I was about to give up. In the end I went for something really boring & obvious.

I'm looking forward to finding out all about web 2.0. I am a bit of a Luddite, but it sounds exciting. The main danger for me is the likelihood of addiction to youtube & flikr etc. when there are already too few hours in the day to cope with my busy schedule of watching the grass grow. I have gone through the units for weeks 1 & 2 & so far so good, not too daunting. The Stephen Fry interview really got me onside as I am a big admirer of him. It's encouraging to find out that I might be able to able to utilise web 2.0 without needing to gain much technical skill.

I am committed to the concept of Lifelong Learning though, but up until now my own pursuit of it has been through continuing ed. courses (I'm starting a semester on Ancient Rome at Mac. Uni. on Tuesday.) Online learning is a great opportunity for the future and has the most important advantage of often being free!

I haven't actually looked at anyone else's personal blogs yet, but they'll have to be a lot more interesting than this one to keep my attention. The library blogs look v. useful & I can imagine all sorts of ways blogging could enhance our service.

Blogging has enormous potential for the library, through facilitating creative dialogue in all sorts of ways. It probably also has a lot of potential in dealing with client groups eg., I run a Book Group at our library & I can see that this might be a great way of interacting & providing info. between meetings & with other groups.
That's got to be 150 words, it certainly feels like it.

I'm adding a picture of Murray (see above), who thinks this is all a complete waste of time & says I should get back to watching the grass grow.

No comments: